16 fascinating facts about Thailand
For a long time, Thailand has been in the top destinations to visit in Asia. The Kingdom of Siam attracts millions of tourists every year with its numerous temples, exotic wildlife, beautiful beaches and floating markets… In addition of having an unique culture, the kindness and hospitality of Thai people embodies it the reputation of “Kingdom of Smile”.
1. Thailand is the 20th most popular country in the world with more than 69 million of inhabitants (December 2017).
2. According to the World Economic Forum, Thailand is the 13th friendliest country in the world, the first being Iceland.
3. Buddhism is the main religion in the country, practiced by over 95% of the population.
4. Thailand is the only South-East Asian country that hasn’t been colonised by Europeans.
5. It is totally forbidden to criticise the Thai Monarchy.
6. According to the Guinness World Records, the official name of Bangkok is the world’s longest city name! Its full name is “Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Ayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit“. Which means “The city of angels, the great city, the residence of the Emerald Buddha, the impregnable city of Ayutthaya of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarn“. Thai people preferred to call it “Krung Thep” and foreigners “Bangkok”. Much easier, right?
7. The tallest top of Thailand is the “Doi Inthanon” with 2 565 meters high. It is situated in the Province of Chiang Mai, in the North of the country.
8. According to ABTA (Association of British Travel Agents), Thailand is the most famous destination for British holidaymakers.
9. Koh Pha Ngan is a party island situated in South-East of the country, North of Koh Samui. The island is well-known for its Full Moon Parties.
10. In 2016, Bangkok was the most visited city in the world with over 21 million of tourists, which ranks it in front of London and Paris.
11. Thailand has the 9th tallest statue of the world, Big Buddha, located at Wat Muang, in the Province of Ang Thong. The statue is 92 meters high and its construction lasted 18 years!
12. Located in the heart of Bangkok, the MahaNakhon Tower is the tallest skyscrapers of the capital city and the country. The construction, by Bouygues Thai Ltd., began in 2011 and ended in 2016. The tower is about 314,2 meters high and has 75 floors where you can find apartments, shops, restaurants, bars and an hotel, “The Ritz-Carlton Résidences”.
13. The Orchid is the national flower of Thailand. If you like exotic flowers, you will be surprised to know that about 1 500 species of orchid grow up wildly in Thai forests.
14. In general, people associate “elephant” with Thailand. The reason is simple : there are more than 2 700 domestic elephants in the country ! Actually, more than 100 years ago, about 100 000 lived in Thailand, with one quarter of wild elephants.
15. Do you like warm weather ? Well, Bangkok has been qualified as the “warmest city of the world”, with temperatures around 30 degrees even during Winter period.
16. If you go to Wat Traimit Witthayaram, a Buddhist temple situated in Bangkok, you will find the world’s most expensive statue of Buddha. This statue composed of 5 tons of gold, is about 700 years old and 4 meters high.
16. Khao San Road is the most animated and frequented tourist area in Bangkok.
#One of the most surprising creatures in Thailand is the mud-skipper, a fish capable of walking on land and climbing trees. He uses his fins to “walk” and can absorb oxygen through his skin. This creature spends most of its time out of the water to eat algae.
#Bangkok is also called “The Venice of the East” because of its many canals.
#Thailand is the 51st largest country in the world, the first being Russia.